Save on Textbooks
- AU $65.00Trending at AU $70.84
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.70
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.14
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $87.71
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.72
- AU $34.66Trending at AU $35.87
- AU $28.96Trending at AU $38.89
About this product
- DescriptionFor thirty years Jonathon Green has been collecting slang - the indefinable language of the gutter, the brothel, the jail, the barroom - producing a succession of dictionaries, most recently the three-volume Green's Dictionary of Slang, that have been recognised as the most comprehensive and authoritative ever compiled. In this fascinating memoir Green reveals that he first began collecting slang in the 1970s, ticing that the contemporary authorities (tably Eric Partridge) preferred the past to the present, unaware of the huge array of new slang being coined by the counter-culture. He ponders why he still does this strange, lonely job, exploring the satisfaction that can be gained by tracking down the first use of a term just encountered in one of the cheap dime vels he devours for research. The lexis leans towards pimping and prostitution, crime and imprisonment, violence and cruelty, drunken and drugged debauches: what does this say about the man who spends every day truffling for it? A fascinating look at how one man has built a lexis of 125,000 words that includes 1,740 words for sexual intercourse, 1,351 for the penis, 540 for defecation/urination, 247 for fat, 219 for vomiting and 180 for anal sex, Odd Job Man will delight all those who love the words that the conventional dictionaries leave out.
- Author BiographyJonathon Green is the author of the Cassell Dictionary of Slang (1998) and Green's Dictionary of Slang (2010), for which he was awarded the 2012 Dartmouth Medal for the most outstanding reference work of the year. He has also written a history of lexicography, Chasing the Sun (1996), the legendary oral history of the British counterculture, Days in the Life (1988), several other oral histories and All Dressed Up: The Sixties and the Counterculture (1998). He lives in London and Paris.
- Author(s)Jonathon Green
- PublisherVintage Publishing
- Date of Publication03/04/2014
- SubjectHistory of Ideas & Popular Philosophy
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJonathan Cape Ltd
- Weight475 g
- Width144 mm
- Height222 mm
- Spine31 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.