All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume offers a selection (about a third of the whole) from Xephon's Oecomicus, his work about management of the ancient, relatively well-to-do household and estate. It probably reflects the period from the late 390s and the 380s when Xephon lived, after his career as a mercenary general, with his wife Philesia and sons Diodoros and Gryllos at Skillos near Elis. It includes much that provides us with our best evidence for how the ancient Greeks lived from day to day, their relationships with their wives and other members of their household. In his combination of intelligence and integrity, Xephon represents the best ancient Greece had to offer; and his writing, like the man himself, is straightforward and honest, without any hint of artifice. It offers easy access for those tackling their first Greek prose reading. In this edition tes and some running vocabulary appear on pages facing the Greek text and there is a consolidated vocabulary at the end.
- Author BiographyRalph Doty is Professor of Classics and Letters, University of Oklahoma.
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication01/01/1998
- LanguageGreek, ancient (to 1453)
- Series TitleGreek Texts
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBristol Classical Press
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight141 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine5 mm
- Volume editorRalph Doty
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.88
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.15
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $15.66
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.21
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.08
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.20
- AU $30.32Trending at AU $31.91
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.