All listings for this product
About this product
- Description<p> Oedipus Rex is the greatest of the Greek tragedies. The story of the mythological king, who is doomed to kill his father and marry his mother, has resonated in world culture for almost 2,500 years. But Sophocles' drama as originally performed was much more than a great story--it remains a superb poetic script and exciting theatrical experience, w faithfully brought to life in this English translation and audiobook.<br> David Mulroy's brilliant verse rendition of Oedipus Rex recaptures the aesthetic and theatrical power of Sophocles' masterpiece while also achieving a highly accurate translation in clear, contemporary English. Professional actors from the American Players Theatre re-create Sophocles' pulsing, iambic rhythms with vitality and hyptic forward momentum. Faculty and students from the University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Music perform the choruses and other music, based on ancient Greek modes.
- Author Biography<p>David Mulroy is professor of classics at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. He has translated The Complete Poetry of Catullus, also published by the University of Wisconsin Press. Sophocles (ca. 497/6-407/6 BCE) was the most acclaimed dramatist of his era, winning more than twenty festival competitions in ancient Athens. He is believed to have written 123 plays, but only seven have survived in a complete form.
- PublisherUniversity of Wisconsin Press
- Date of Publication15/03/2012
- Place of PublicationWisconsin
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Wisconsin Press
- Weight98 g
- Width286 mm
- Height124 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Translated byDavid D. Mulroy
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.16
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $34.97
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.95
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.45
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.82
- AU $28.58Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $32.12
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.