All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.38Trending at AU $49.05
- AU $74.47Trending at AU $75.94
- AU $22.11Trending at AU $22.83
- AU $35.53Trending at AU $38.73
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.24
- AU $17.61Trending at AU $22.87
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.49
About this product
- DescriptionPraised by Aristotle as the pinnacle of Greek drama, Oedipus the King is the ancient world's most shocking and memorable play: the story of a city's beloved hero and his royal family brought to hellish ruin by fate, supernatural manipulation, and all-too-human weakness. With a plague ravishing Thebes, it falls upon Oedipus, the king, to discover its cause. Yet in consulting the blind prophet Tiresias, Oedipus uncovers t only the roots of the gods' displeasure but also a dreadful secret about his own past. Prophesied from childhood to destroy his loved ones, Oedipus long ago left his homeland. In fleeing his fate, however, he has unwittingly fulfilled his grim destiny, for, as he is to discover, Thebes was always his true homeland; the stranger he slew on the road his true father; and the queen who bore his sons and daughters, his own mother. Oedipus' shame is irredeemable-and his revelation will have terrible consequences for all involved. Sophocles masterfully invokes the Western culture's most extreme taboos to explore our deepest questions about fate and free will, in a suspenseful story that still haunts audiences after 2,500 years. This phemenal translation by Robert Bagg achieves an accurate but idiomatic rendering of the Greek original that is suited for reading, teaching, or performing.
- Author BiographyRobert Bagg is the author of five books of poetry, including Madonna of the Cello, a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize and the National Book Award. Prix de Rome, Guggenheim, Rockefeller, NEA, and NEH fellowships have supported his projects. Bagg's translations of Euripides and Sophocles have been staged in more than 60 productions worldwide.
- Author(s)Robert Bagg,Sophocles
- PublisherHarperCollins Publishers Inc
- Date of Publication20/08/2012
- SubjectDrama Texts, Plays & Screenplays
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Weight136 g
- Width135 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.