All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis collection of fresh essays on Suzanne Collins's epic trilogy spans multiple disciplines. The contributors probe the trilogy's meaning using theories grounded in historicism, feminism, humanism, queer theory, as well as cultural, political, and media studies. The essayists demonstrate diverse perspectives regarding Collins's vels but their works have three elements in common: an appreciation of the trilogy as literature, a belief in its permanent value, and a need to share both appreciation and belief with fellow readers. The 21 essays that follow the context-setting introduction are grouped into four parts: Part I History, Politics, Ecomics, and Culture, Part II Ethics, Aesthetics, and Identity, Part III Resistance, Surveillance, and Simulacra, and Part IV Thematic Parallels and Literary Traditions. A core bibliography of dystopian and postapocalyptic works is included, with emphasis on the young adult category--itself an increasingly crucial part of postmodern culture. Instructors considering this book for use in a course may request an examination copy here.
- Author Biography<b>Mary F. Pharr</b> is a professor emeritus of English at Florida Southern College. She lives in Lakeland, Florida. <b>Leisa A. Clark</b> has published on women's issues in the classroom and on <i>Xena: Warrior Princess</i>. She lives in St. Petersburg, Florida. <b>Donald E. Palumbo</b> is a professor of English at East Carolina University. He lives in Greenville, North Carolina. <b>C.W. Sullivan III</b> is Distinguished Professor of arts and sciences at East Carolina University and a full member of the Welsh Academy. He is the author of numerous books and the on-line journal <i>Celtic Cultural Studies</i>.
- PublisherMcFarland & Co Inc
- Date of Publication15/08/2012
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationJefferson, NC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMcFarland & Co Inc
- Weight340 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byC. W. Sullivan,Donald E. Palumbo,Leisa A. Clark,Mary F. Pharr
Save on Textbooks
- AU $39.95Trending at AU $54.70
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.60
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.63
- AU $18.90Trending at AU $23.23
- AU $26.38Trending at AU $38.31
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $56.23
- AU $28.48Trending at AU $29.68
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.