All listings for this product
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.82Trending at AU $17.35
- AU $66.82Trending at AU $74.89
- AU $96.38Trending at AU $104.01
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $70.87
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.50
- AU $23.99Trending at AU $25.75
- AU $10.20Trending at AU $14.20
About this product
- DescriptionDermott Proud, purser Officer on the Union Castle line Windsor Castle mail ship, leaves home and his beautiful partner, Samantha Davenport, to set off on a six week cruise to South Africa. But an incident on the train to Southampton is just the start of a series of escalating incidents that will mark this out as ordinary cruise. Drawing on his own experience as a purser on a cruise ship, South African author Deryck Spence, builds a thriller in Officers and Gentlemen? that will entertain fans of the genre. Dermott Proud thinks that his only problem on the cruise will be in remaining faithful to Samantha and contemplating life as a civilian. But he will find that there is a much higher price to pay than the loss of love.
- Author BiographyDeryck Spence is a 73-year-old South African businessman who joined Union Castle, after having completed his studies, principally because of his love for the sea. He became a purser on the Union Castle Lines in the 60s. On returning to South Africa in 1964, he joined the Burmah-Castrol group of companies, as a sales representative and rose steadily through the ranks culminating in his appointment as Managing Director of the South African company in 1986. In 1992 he was promoted and transferred back to the United Kingdom, where he took up the position as European Director for a group company: Foseco Plc. After four years in Europe he returned to South Africa and started a Management Consultancy business, affiliated to Cranfield Business School. In September 2000/2001 he acquired a share in a medium-sized Paint Company and in 2009 he became the Executive Director of the South African Paint Manufacturing Association, a position which he presently holds. Deryck is married to Alison (married 1966) and has two daughters; Kathleen and Tracey and three grandchildren; Jennifer (25), Michael (21) and a new grandson Shane (5). Deryck always wanted to write and was inspired by one of Nicholas Montserrat's novels The Nylon Pirates which motivated him to write the novel. Having served as a purser with Union Castle in the 1960s he wanted to write a similar novel, but from an officer's perspective. What followed was the novel Officers and Gentlemen? and this has subsequently led to the writing of a sequel The Equality of Suffering. He has also completed a Children's book entitled The Magic Shepherd. Deryck was a keen sportsman in his day and enjoys watching sport, having played both rugby and cricket, and still manages to break a hundred on the golf course. Travel, with the family (including cruises) is a particular pleasure and passion.
- Author(s)Deryck Spence
- PublisherAustin Macauley Publishers
- Date of Publication31/08/2016
- SubjectCrime, Thriller & Adventure
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAustin Macauley Publishers
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.