All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.86
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.84
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.02
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.03
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.20
- AU $24.91Trending at AU $28.29
- AU $9.81Trending at AU $13.34
About this product
- DescriptionThe fact that Canada has a vibrant contemporary art scene is secret to Canadians, but in other parts of the world, including the United States, this is t as recognized as it deserves to be. This wide-ranging, comprehensive survey of contemporary Canadian art, showcasing the work of artists from all across the country, will change that. These artists include those who have risen to international prominence -- Michael Sw, Garry Neill Kennedy, and Marcel Dzama, among others -- as well as many artists who have yet to be discovered outside Canada. Oh, Canada (and the exhibition it accompanies at MASS MoCA) surveys nearly every province and territory, grouping artists by region, offering a new kind of travel guide with art as the main attraction. The result is t art that defines itself by national identity but rather some remarkable contemporary art that happens to be Canadian. Each section--from British Columbia and the Yukon to the Prairies and North, Ontario, Quebec, Atlantic Canada and the Ex-Pats -- includes a text on the art of the region, interviews between artists, and examples of their work. Oh, Canada also includes a detailed exploration of today's Canadian art scene by the editor and whimsical shorter pieces in a variety of forms (travelogues, poems, even fiction) by other writers, among them Douglas Coupland and Jane Urquhart. An appendix offers two lists of Canadians you didn't kw were Canadian--one compiled by an American and the other by a Canadian. Oh, Canada is an unprecedented, near-encyclopedic guide to Canadian contemporary art, and to Canada itself.
- Author BiographyDenise Markonish is a curator at MASS MoCA. Her curatorial projects at MASS MoCA include the 2008 exhibition Badlands, for which she edited the accompanying catalog Badlands: New Horizons in Landscape, published by the MIT Press.
- PublisherMIT Press Ltd
- Date of Publication20/07/2012
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Series TitleOh, Canada
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMIT Press
- Content Note300 color illus.
- Weight1678 g
- Width222 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine32 mm
- Edited byDenise Markonish
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.