All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOld English provides a clear linguistic introduction to English between the 5th century and the Norman invasion in 1066. Tailored to suit the needs of individual course modules, it assumes prior kwledge of the subject, and presents the basic facts in a straightforward manner, making it the ideal beginners' text. Students are guided step-by-step through the main characteristics and developments of English during that period, aided by concise chapter summaries, suggestions for further reading, and a comprehensive glossary. Each chapter is accompanied by an engaging set of exercises and discussion questions based on authentic Anglo-Saxon texts, encouraging students to consolidate their learning, and providing essential self-study material. The book is accompanied by a companion website, featuring solutions to the exercises and useful additional resources. Providing essential kwledge and skills for those embarking on the study of Old English, it is set to become the leading introduction to the subject.
- Author BiographyJeremy J. Smith is Professor of English Philology in the Department of English Language at the University of Glasgow. His recent publications include Sound Change and the History of English (2007), Essentials of Early English, 2nd edition, 2005) and An Introduction to Middle English (with S. Horobin, 2002).
- Author(s)Jeremy J. Smith
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication02/04/2009
- Series TitleCambridge Introductions to the English Language
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight350 g
- Width174 mm
- Height247 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Save on Textbooks
- AU $39.95Trending at AU $54.70
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.60
- AU $18.90Trending at AU $23.23
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.31
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $56.23
- AU $28.48Trending at AU $29.68
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.29
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.