All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $26.38Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $28.49Trending at AU $29.55
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $30.26Trending at AU $32.49
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.66
- AU $30.98Trending at AU $40.06
- AU $11.31Trending at AU $14.84
About this product
- DescriptionOwners of old houses are often baffled by the confusing advice they receive from their builders, architects or surveyors who may be more familiar with repairing modern buildings than dealing with the issues associated with traditional houses. Old houses generally require a different approach, one, for instance, which takes account of their need to 'breathe'. Modern solutions do t always recognise that need. This book will help owners, builders and all construction professionals make the decisions that are right for old buildings. It illustrates the long term benefits of using more traditional solutions on older houses rather than modern materials like cement based mortars, sealants or impervious paints. It offers practical guidance on: How to get the right professional advice; Legal requirements for listed buildings; Problems with damp and rot; Use of lime mortars, plasters and renders; Why old buildings need to breathe; Planning applications; and, Trees, outbuildings and gardens.
- Author BiographyJanet Collings is an architect who specializes in the conservation of historic buildings and runs her own architectural practice. Early in her career she was awarded a scholarship by the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings to study the care and repair of old buildings. In additions to work on a wide variety of old buildings she has rescued a listed house from a county buildings at risk register, organizing or carrying out much of that work herself. This book shares her experiences as a designer, owner and conserver working with old buildings.
- Author(s)Janet Collings
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication01/05/2004
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintDonhead Publishing
- Content NoteIll.
- Weight498 g
- Width173 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine15 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.