All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.35Trending at AU $49.47
- AU $74.08Trending at AU $76.60
- AU $22.09Trending at AU $23.03
- AU $35.47Trending at AU $39.06
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.59
- AU $17.66Trending at AU $23.07
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $38.86
About this product
- DescriptionIn the past few decades, interest in the rich and varied literature of early Scandinavia has prompted a great deal of interest in its background: its origins, social and historical context, and relationship to other medieval literatures. Until the 1980s, however, there was a distinct lack of scholarship in the area, so in 1985, Carol J. Clover and John Lindow brought together some of the most ambitious and distinguished Old Norse scholars to contribute essays for a collection that would finally fill the void of a comprehensive guide to the field. The contributors summarize and comment on scholarly work in the major branches of the field: eddic and skaldic poetry, family and kings' sagas, courtly writing, and mythology. Taken together, their judicious and well-written essays, each with a full bibliography, make up this vital survey of Old Norse literature in English - a basic reference work that has stimulated much research and helped to open up the field to a wider academic readership. This volume has become an essential text for instructors, and twenty years later, is w being republished as part of the Medieval Academy Reprints for Teaching (MART) series with a new preface that discusses more recent contributions to the field.
- Author BiographyCarol J. Clover is a professor in the Department of Scandinavian and the Department of Rhetoric at the University of California, Berkeley. John Lindow is a professor in the Department of Scandinavian and the Folklore Program at the University of California, Berkeley.
- PublisherUniversity of Toronto Press
- Date of Publication25/04/2005
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleMART: The Medieval Academy Reprints for Teaching
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 42
- Place of PublicationToronto
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintUniversity of Toronto Press
- Weight600 g
- Width153 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine29 mm
- Edited byCarol J. Clover,John Lindow
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.