All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $74.54Trending at AU $75.65
- AU $35.53Trending at AU $38.58
- AU $31.33Trending at AU $37.07
- AU $17.66Trending at AU $22.78
- AU $13.07Trending at AU $16.63
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.34
- AU $26.33Trending at AU $50.97
About this product
- DescriptionThis is a modern, antated translation of antiquity's only extant commentary on Plato's moral and political dialogue Gorgias, in which the author defends ancient Greek philosophy and culture at a time when Christianity has almost replaced it. The first translation into any modern language of a central work in Platonic studies is accompanied by antations which guide the reader in understanding the obscurities of the text, an introduction to the main issues raised by it, and a bibliography of the modern literature.
- Author BiographyRobin Jackson, Ph.D. (1981), Princeton University, taught Classics at the University of Melbourne, and has published on Plato and Olympiodorus. He is now Assistant Director, Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education in the UK. Kimon Lycos, BPhil, Oxford University, taught Philosophy at several universities, most recently at the University of Melbourne. He died in Melbourne in 1995, leaving many philosophical publications including Plato and Justice and Power (Macmillan, 1987). Harold Tarrant, Ph.D. in Classics, Durham University, is Professor of Classics at the University of Newcastle, NSW. His many publications on ancient Platonists include Scepticism or Platonism? (Cambridge University Press, 1985) and Thrasyllan Platonism (Cornell University Press, 1993).
- Date of Publication08/05/1998
- Series TitlePhilosophia Antiqua
- Series Part/Volume Number78
- Place of PublicationLeiden
- Country of PublicationNetherlands
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight676 g
- Width160 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine27 mm
- Edited byHarold Tarrant,Kimon Lycos,Robin Jackson
- Introduction byHarold Tarrant
- Format DetailsWith dust jacket
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.