Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.09
- AU $46.36Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
About this product
- DescriptionMoses Maimonides (1138-1204), one of the most celebrated rabbis in the history of Judaism, was a prolific author of influential Arabic philosophical and medical treatises as well as two of the most important works on Jewish law. A companion to the English translation and Arabic text presented in the first volume of On Asthma , this volume offers Gerrit Bos' critical editions of all three surviving medieval Hebrew translations of Maimonides' work: one allegedly prepared by the fourteenth-century physician Samuel Benveniste, who served Don Manuel, brother of King Pedro IV of Aragon; a second by Joshua Shatibi from Jativa between the years 1379 and 1390, for the referendary Fernan Diaz of Toledo at the court of King Juan II of Castile; and a third by an anymous translator, possibly in the thirteenth century.The volume also contains critical editions by Michael R. McVaugh of the two medieval Latin translations of Maimonides' treatise, one probably made by Giovanni da Capua at Rome circa 1300 and the other begun by Armengaud Blaise in Montpellier in 1294 but completed eight years later. It concludes with a section of addenda and corrigenda to the first volume.
- Author BiographyGerrit Bos is chair of the Martin Buber Institute for Jewish Studies at the University of Cologne. Michael R. McVaugh is the William Smith Wells Professor of History at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- Author(s)Moses Maimonides
- PublisherBrigham Young University Press
- Date of Publication15/07/2008
- LanguageArabic & English & Hebrew & Latin
- SubjectMedicine: General
- Series TitleMedical Works of Moses Maimonides
- Place of PublicationUtah
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBrigham Young University Press
- Weight1146 g
- Width163 mm
- Height236 mm
- Spine51 mm
- Edited byGerrit Bos,Michael R. McVaugh
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.