Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.53Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.33
- AU $92.88Trending at AU $103.09
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.00
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $44.80
- AU $46.32Trending at AU $48.00
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $83.82
About this product
- DescriptionOn Behalf of the Family Farm traces the development of women's activism and agrarian feminisms in the Midwest after 1945, as farm women's lives were being transformed by the realities of modern agriculture. Author Jenny Barker Devine demonstrates that in an era when techlogy, depopulation, and rapid ecomic change dramatically altered rural life, midwestern women met these challenges with their own feminine vision of farm life. Their agrarian feminisms offered an alternative to, but t necessarily a rejection of, second-wave feminism. Focusing on women in four national farm organisations in Iowa--the Farm Bureau, the Farmers Union, the National Farm Organization, and the Porkettes--Devine highlights specific moments in time when farm women had to reassess their roles and strategies for preserving and improving their way of life. Rather than retreat from the male-dominated world of agribusiness and mechanised production, postwar women increasingly asserted their identities as agricultural producers and demanded access to public spaces typically reserved for men. Over the course of several decades, they developed agrarian feminisms that combined cherished rural traditions with female empowerment, cooperation, and collaboration. Iowa farm women emphasised working partnerships between husbands and wives, women's work in agricultural production, and women's unique ways of understanding large-scale conventional farming.
- Author BiographyAn assistant professor at Illinois College, USA, Jenny Barker Devine has won several prizes for her research, including the Zaffarano Prize for Graduate Student Research at Iowa State University (she was the first nonscientist to win it), the Carrie Chapman Catt Prize for Research on Women in Politics, the Phi Alpha Theta Doctoral Scholarship, and the Ernest G. Hildner, Jr., Faculty Award of Illinois College.
- Author(s)Jenny Barker Devine
- PublisherUniversity of Iowa Press
- Date of Publication30/04/2013
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleIowa and the Midwest Experience Series
- Place of PublicationIowa
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Iowa Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight295 g
- Width152 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine18 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.