Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $73.59
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.11
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.05
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.87
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.29
- AU $57.95Trending at AU $58.89
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $113.02
About this product
- Description'ON and BY Andy Warhol' is an epic achievement. Gilda Williams has collected what seems like every word ever written about or uttered by the most influential artist of our time to produce a verbal collage portrait that is bold, revealing, multi-dimensional and original. If Andy were alive, he would probably say, Oh, wow. Why didn't I think of that? -- Bob Colacello, special correspondent, Vanity Fair. Author of Holy Terror: Andy Warhol Close Up and former Editor, Interview magazine. The impact of Andy Warhol on contemporary culture is incalculable. A pioneer in virtually every media in which he worked, Warhol also had a lesser-kwn hand in such contemporary staples as reality TV, computer art, and the rock-gig light show. In the wake of dedicated Twitter feeds today that easily adapt his short epithets or 'Warholisms' into 140-character snippets, Andy Warhol's cultural relevance seems only to grow in the 21st century.Edited and introduced by art critic Gilda Williams, ON&BY Andy Warhol brings together generations of table writers who have examined the influence and legacy of Warhol's life and work: art critics including Douglas Crimp, Thomas Crow, Dave Hickey, Hal Foster and Lucy Lippard; artists Art & Language and Donald Judd; philosophers and cultural theorists including Arthur C. Danto, Fredric Jameson and Eve Kosofsky Sedgwick; and, more recently, velists such as Saul Anton.Alongside accounts from Factory associates Bob Colacello and Mary Worov, and recent revelations from Warhol Museum senior archivist Matt Wrbican, are critical assessments by Callie Angell, Rainer Crone, Anthony Huberman, Stephen Koch, Wayne Koestenbaum and Simon Watney amongst others; and further writings by Warhol (and his collaborators) such as THE Philosophy of Andy Warhol (From A to B and Back Again), Blue Movie, POPism, America, Andy Warhol's Party Book and The Andy Warhol Diaries, as well as interviews with Gretchen Berg and Alfred Hitchcock.
- Author BiographyGilda Williams is an art critic and lecturer at Goldsmiths College (University of London) and Sotheby's Institute of Art, London. She is London correspondent for Artforum and has written and published extensively on Andy Warhol, including as commissioning editor for contemporary art at Phaidon Press from 1997-2005, during which time Phaidon produced numerous Warhol publications and two volumes of Andy Warhol Catalogue Raisonne, Paintings and Sculptures.
- PublisherWhitechapel Gallery
- Date of Publication01/03/2016
- SubjectIndividual Artists / Art Monographs
- Series TitleOn&By
- Series Part/Volume Number3
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintWhitechapel Gallery
- Weight150 g
- Width145 mm
- Height210 mm
- Edited byGilda Williams
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.