All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $90.88Trending at AU $93.26
- AU $28.71Trending at AU $30.90
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.02
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $30.95Trending at AU $33.19
About this product
- DescriptionFor nearly half a century, Professor M. A. K. Halliday has been enriching the discipline of linguistics with his keen insights into the social semiotic phemen we call language. This ten volume series presents the seminal works of Professor Halliday. This first volume contains seventeen papers, including a new chapter entitled 'A Personal Perspective', in which Halliday offers his own current perspective on language and linguistic theory. The first part of the book presents early papers (1957-66) on basic concepts such as system, structure, class and rank. The second part highlights how, over the span of two decades (the 1960s to mid-1980s), Halliday developed systemic theory to account for linguistic phemena extending upward through the ranks from word to clause to text. The last part, 'Construing and Abstracting', includes more recent work, in which Halliday discusses the issues confronting those who study linguistics, using Firth's description of linguistics - 'language turned back on itself'.
- Author BiographyM. A. K. Halliday is Emeritus Professor at the University of Gydney. As a self-styled 'generalist' he has published in many branches of linguistics, both theoretical and applied. The volumes in the present series encompass these aspects of Halliday's work. Jonathan J. Webster is Acting Head, Department of Chinese, Translation and Linguistics, and Associate Dean, Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences at the City University of Hong Kong.
- Author(s)M. A. K. Halliday
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication01/10/2005
- Series TitleCollected Works of M.A.K. Halliday
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintContinuum International Publishing Group Ltd.
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight632 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byJonathan Webster
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.