Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $47.95+ AU $29.00 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $19.44+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.31Trending at AU $49.44
- AU $77.99Trending at AU $116.29
- AU $28.58Trending at AU $31.02
- AU $70.13Trending at AU $77.15
- AU $74.43Trending at AU $76.94
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.56
About this product
- Description<b>From the author of the #1 <i>New York Times</i> giant bestseller <i>Inside of a Dog</i> comes an equally smart, delightful, and startling exploration of how we perceive our surroundings.</b> From the author of the giant <b>#1 </b><i>New York Times </i>bestseller <i>Inside of a Dog </i>comes an equally smart, delightful, and startling exploration of how we perceive and discover our world. Alexandra Horowitz's brilliant <i>On Looking: Eleven Walks with Expert Eyes </i>shows us how to see the spectacle of the ordinary--to practice, as Sir Arthur Conan Doyle put it, the observation of trifles. <i>On Looking </i>is structured around a series of eleven walks the author takes, mostly in her Manhattan neighborhood, with experts on a diverse range of subjects, including an urban sociologist, the well-kwn artist Maira Kalman, a geologist, a physician, and a sound designer. She also walks with a child and a dog to see the world as they perceive it. <i>What </i>they see, <i>how </i>they see it, and why most of us do <i>t </i>see the same things reveal the startling power of human attention and the cognitive aspects of what it means to be an expert observer. As the million-plus readers of <i>Inside of a Dog </i>have discovered, Alexandra Horowitz is charmingly adept at explaining the mysteries of human perception. Trained as a cognitive scientist, she discovers a feast of fascinating detail, all explained with her generous humor and self-deprecating tone. <i>On Looking </i>presents the same engaging combination, this time in service to understanding how human beings encounter their daily worlds and each other. Page by page, Horowitz shows how much more there is to see--if only we would really look. <i>On Looking </i>is nutrition for the considered life, serving as a provocative response to our relentlessly virtual consciousness. So turn off the phone and other electronic devices and <i>be </i>in the real world--where strangers communicate by geometry as they walk toward one ather, where sounds reveal shadows, where posture can display humility, and the underside of a leaf unveils a Lilliputian universe--where, indeed, there are worlds within worlds within worlds. Alexandra Horowitz's <i>On Looking </i>confirms her place as one of today's most illuminating observers of our infinitely complex world.
- Author(s)Alexandra Horowitz
- PublisherScribner Book Company
- Date of Publication08/01/2013
- SubjectPsychology: Professional & General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintScribner Book Company
- Weight567 g
- Width163 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine26 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound,Paper over boards,With dust jacket
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.