All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $5.72Trending at AU $8.52
- AU $70.49Trending at AU $79.52
- AU $74.59Trending at AU $76.09
- AU $35.53Trending at AU $38.80
- AU $31.31Trending at AU $37.29
- AU $17.55Trending at AU $22.92
- AU $10.39Trending at AU $15.38
About this product
- DescriptionIncluding applied readings, this book explores the divide between practical criticism and theory in 20th century criticism to propose a new way of reading poetry. The history of poetry criticism in the 20th Century is often told as the story of two opposing sides. On the one hand, practical criticism emphasized close reading and a concern with authorial intention and technique; by contrast, the 'theory revolution' reacted against this in favour of a concern with the anymous ideological forces at play in the text. Critically exploring this history of 20th Century literary criticism, On Modern Poetry draws on the insights of both traditions to offer a new way of reading poetry. Taking students through the work of such critics as T.S. Eliot, William Empson, Harold Bloom, Jacques Derrida and Martin Heidegger, the book considers such topics as rhyme, poetic 'voice' and language. The second part of the book then goes on to apply these critical insights through close readings of poems by such writers as Matthew Arld, Thomas Hardy, Gerard Manley Hopkins and Alfred Lord Tennyson. A new exploration of poetry criticism in the last hundred years, On Modern Poetry is an essential guide for readers and students at all levels.
- Author BiographyRobert Rowland Smith is a former Prize Fellow of All Souls College, Oxford, UK. He is the author of Derrida and Autobiography, Death-Drive: Freudian Hauntings in Literature and Art and Breakfast with Socrates: The Philosophy of Everyday Life. A frequent contributor to BBC radio and television, he also has a weekly column in the Sunday Times Magazine.
- Author(s)Robert Rowland Smith
- PublisherContinuum Publishing Corporation
- Date of Publication12/07/2012
- SubjectLiterary Theory
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintContinuum Publishing Corporation
- Weight308 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine15 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.