All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOn the Move presents a rich history of one of the key concepts of modern life: mobility. Increasing mobility has been a constant throughout the modern era, evident in mass car ownership, plane travel, and the rise of the Internet. Typically, people have equated increasing mobility with increasing freedom. However, as Cresswell shows, while mobility has certainly increased in modern times, attempts to control and restrict mobility are just as characteristic of modernity. Through a series of fascinating historical episodes Cresswell shows how mobility and its regulation have been central to the experience of modernity.
- Author BiographyTim Cresswell is Professor of Geography at the University of Wales, Aberystwyth. A noted scholar, Cresswell has published three respected books thus far (with Minnesota, Reaktion and Blackwell), and On the Move has already garnered a glowing review from John Urry of the University of Lancaster. Urry stated that it will become a standard book in the field.
- Author(s)Timothy Cresswell
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication06/07/2006
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note32 black & white halftones
- Weight453 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.84
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.82
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.31
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.95
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.00
- AU $44.73Trending at AU $47.15
- AU $25.61Trending at AU $28.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.