All listings for this product
Consider these sponsored items
- AU $26.28Was:AU $38.99Free postage
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.85
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionTo err is human. To really screw up requires team effort. Everyone cheers the clubs that win pennants, but what about the doormats who made their triumphs possible? It's time to give baseball's lousiest teams their due. Here they are: The 1904 Washington Senators, whose only good player, a thirty-five-year-old star hitter, took a dive (fatally, into Niagara Falls); the 1935 Boston Braves, who set the National League standard for losing percentage despite featuring three Hall of Famers-including Yankee exile Babe Ruth; the 1952 Pittsburgh Pirates, Joe Garagiola's cellar-dwelling team that was so bad, he quipped, they wouldn't put our pictures on bubble gum cards ; and the 1962 New York Mets, maybe t the worst team ever but definitely the funniest in modern baseball history. You'll get the stats, the scores, the scandals, and the secrets in this -holds-barred account. When the survivors of these diamond trainwrecks include such legends as Marv Throneberry, Ralph Kiner, Cal Ripken Jr., Roger Craig, and Joe Garagiola, you can be sure that the book (unlike its subjects) is a winner.
- Author BiographyGeorge Robinson's sportswriting has appeared in such publications as the New York Times, Newsday, and the Washington Post. Charles Salzberg is the author of numerous articles and books, including Swann's Last Song, The Mad Fisherman, and From Set Shot to Slam Dunk: The Glory Days of Basketball in the Words of Those Who Played It, available in a Bison Books edition.
- Author(s)Charles Salzberg,George Robinson
- PublisherUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Date of Publication01/04/2010
- SubjectBall Games: Field & Outdoor
- Place of PublicationNebraska
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBison Books
- Content Note11 illustrations, 21 tables
- Weight318 g
- Width3429 mm
- Height5182 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Introduction byGeorge Robinson,Charles Salzberg
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.