All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCan the internet solve the problem of mass education, and bring human beings to a new level of community? Drawing on a diverse array of thinkers from Plato to Kierkegaard, On the Internet argues that there is much in common between the disembodied, free floating web and Descartes' separation of mind and body. Hubert Dreyfus also shows how Kierkegaard's insights into the origins of a media-obsessed public anticipate the web surfer, blogger and chat room. Drawing on studies of the isolation experienced by many internet users and the insights of philosopher such as Descartes and Kierkegaard, Dreyfus shows how the internet's privatisation of experience igres essential human capacities such as trust, moods, risk, shared local concerns and commitment. The second edition includes a brand new chapter on 'Second Life' and is revised and updated throughout.
- Author BiographyHubert Dreyfus is Professor of Philosophy in the Graduate School at the University of California at Berkeley, USA.
- Author(s)Hubert L. Dreyfus
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication31/10/2008
- Series TitleThinking in Action
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note2 black & white tables
- Weight226 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.02
- AU $69.30Trending at AU $126.46
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $9.55
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.