Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $33.15Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $30.21Trending at AU $34.60
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.01
- AU $21.13Trending at AU $25.58
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $23.42
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $97.89
About this product
- DescriptionThis book is a thoughtful and accessible survey of the final works of art of approximately 80 artists from the Renaissance to the present, most of them well-kwn masters. W. H. Auden ted that we all hope to be judged by the brilliant work or life's-effort-in-progress which death or disaster interrupted, even as we judge others by finished work. Michelangelo encapsulated this moment of awe when he purportedly told Vasari: O, I have come to the twenty-fourth hour of my day and project arises in my brain that hath t the figure of death and suffering graven upon it. To be sure, death is the theme of this book but by means an obsession. Last works speak less to death per se than they do to mortality; that is, to being human, being physically and spiritually alive and aware that one's days are numbered. This is perhaps a subtext of all genuine works of art, but last works and words (featured in the book's coda) have a way of compressing it to its essence and conjuring it to the fore. The book, which contains reproductions of the last works, as well, promises to edify and enthrall both the serious devotee of the arts as well as the casual lay reader. The Washington Post observed: Ciofalo does t write just for the art historian but for anyone interested in art and that is a good thing for all of us.
- Author BiographyJohn J. Ciofalo is the author of the award-winning book, The Self-Portraits of Francisco Goya. He has taught at The University of Iowa, Indiana University, Case Western Reserve University, and the College of Wooster.
- Author(s)John J Ciofalo
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication25/01/2010
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectThe Arts: General & Reference
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Notecolour illustrations
- Weight458 g
- Width177 mm
- Height256 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.