All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.09
- AU $46.36Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
About this product
- DescriptionOn the Wonders of Land and Sea: Persianate Travel Writing initiates a comparative study of n-European travel writers in the eastern Islamic or Persianate world from the eighteenth to early twentieth centuries. The essays in this volume discuss travel narratives by male and female Muslim and Parsi/Zoroastrian travelers in the Hijaz, Iraq, Egypt, Turkey, Iran, Afghanistan, India, and Europe. Focusing on the literary and linguistic aspects of the travelogues, the essays reveal links to traditional forms of narrating travel and the introduction of hybrid forms of discourse. The authors' methodological approach situates the texts in their socio-historical contexts and the travelers in their geographical locations, taking into account their gender and national identity. Each essay investigates a Muslim or Persianate traveler, whether sojourning in Europe or ather part of the eastern world, and explores how the narrator represents what she or he sees while questioning the social and historical transformations accompanying modernity. The aim of this collection is to take a step toward a more sustained critical discussion of travelogues by Muslim travelers in dialogue with other Muslim, Persianate, and European travelers.
- Author BiographyRoberta Micallef is Master Lecturer in the Department of Modern Languages and Comparative Literature at Boston University. Sunil Sharma is Associate Professor of Persianate and Comparative Literature at Boston University.
- PublisherHarvard University, Center for Hellenic Studies
- Date of Publication04/06/2013
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleIlex Series
- Series Part/Volume Number10
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIlex Foundation
- Content Note10 halftones
- Weight272 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byRoberta Micallef,Sunil Sharma
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.