All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $103.88Trending at AU $107.88
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.61
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $169.05
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.96
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.36
- AU $49.80Trending at AU $52.07
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $88.81
About this product
- DescriptionThe incandescent poems in Once, the second collection by an astonishing and formidable poet, explore loss, violence, and recovery. Facing a mother's impending death, O'Rourke invokes a vanished childhood of American houses, wet / kids moving through them in Spandex bathing suits; / inside, sandwiches with crusts cut off. But the future hangs omiusly over this summer paradise: t just the death of O'Rourke's mother but the stark civic traumas faced by American citizens in the twenty-first century. The future, O'Rourke writes, is all still / a dream, a night sweat to be swum off / in a wonderland of sand and bread. These poems are shadowed by illness, both civic and personal, and by the mysterious currents of grief. What emerges over the course of the volume is a meditation t only on a daughter's relationship with her mother but also on a citizen's to her nation. Throughout, Once examines the forces that shape war, divorce, and death, exploring personal culpability and charting uncertain new beginnings as the speakers seek to build homes in a shattered land and find whole selves amid broken, thwarted relationships. from Frontier ...At times, I felt sick, intoxicated by BPA and mercury. At other times I fasted and the stars stumbled clear from the vault. Up there, the universe stands around drunk. I hope the Lord is kind to us, for we engrave our every mistake ...
- Author BiographyMeghan O'Rourke is the author of the poetry collections Halflife and Once, and a memoir, The Long Goodbye. Her work has appeared in numerous publications, among them The New Yorker and Slate. She lives in Brooklyn, New York.
- Author(s)Meghan O'Rourke
- PublisherWW Norton & Co
- Date of Publication05/02/2013
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWW Norton & Co
- Weight120 g
- Width140 mm
- Height211 mm
- Spine7 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.