CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $31.45Trending at AU $32.23
- AU $56.24Trending at AU $57.26
- AU $161.21Trending at AU $168.19
- AU $65.85Trending at AU $78.69
- AU $11.89Trending at AU $18.32
- AU $12.87Trending at AU $16.79
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $51.47
About this product
- DescriptionIt's the summer of 1972. Maggie, a young schoolteacher, leaves the United States to settle with her boyfriend, Fletcher, on a farm near Niagara Falls. They've made the journey to keep him out of the draft, but they also have loftier plans - to start a commune and work the land. As the summer passes, Maggie is haunted by the lack of word from her father, a missionary in the war-torn jungles of Laos. Then the US government anunces the end of the draft, and Fletcher faces pressure from his family to return home. More people arrive at the farm, but they aren't who anyone expected. Tensions threaten the commune, the neighbours are suspicious, and Maggie finds herself negotiating the gap between ideals and reality, between who people want to be and who they actually are. Just as her new life seems on the brink of falling apart, Maggie receives word from Laos that her father has disappeared. Suddenly, her future depends t only on keeping everyone together, but also on discovering the truth about her father's actions and beliefs in the days before he vanished. Once We Had a Country returns us to an era we thought we knew and compels us to consider the courage of our own convictions as well as the depths of our desire for a meaningful life. It cements Robert McGill's standing as a writer of rare and exceptional talent.
- Author BiographyRobert McGill was born in 1976 in the small town of Wiarton, Ontario, and grew up there. He attended Queen's University and the University of Oxford before completing an MA in Creative Writing at the University of East Anglia. He returned to Canada in 2002 and now lives in Toronto. His first novel, The Mysteries, was published by Jonathan Cape in 2004.
- Author(s)Robert McGill
- PublisherVintage Publishing
- Date of Publication02/01/2014
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJonathan Cape Ltd
- Out-of-print date23/08/2016
- Weight530 g
- Width143 mm
- Height222 mm
- Spine32 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.