All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe 1920s and 1930s constituted an unforgettable epoch in Wall Street history. Brooks outlines the metaphor of the era's financial boom and bust: Golconda, w a ruin, was a city in south-eastern India where, according to legend, everyone got rich ...a similar legend attached to Wall Street between the wars. He explores the creation and destruction of wealth in the life of Richard Whitney, the president of the New York Stock Exchange, whose own story runs parallel to the undulations of the stock market itself. It also examines the drama, ruthlessness, greed, and fantasy of the 1920s and 1930s that changed Wall Street forever. From the securities law governing the modern markets to the quixotic visions of the bullish investor, the book chronicles the timeless themes of Wall Street.
- Author BiographyJOHN BROOKS was an award-winning New Yorker staff writer and author of several critically acclaimed explorations of business and Wall Street. Besides Once in Golconda, these include The Go-Go Years (Wiley), The Games Players, Business Adventures, and The Fate of the Edsel. Yale Law Journal said of him, John Brooks . may well be the best historian of high and low finance since . Charles Francis Adams and his brother Henry chronicled the rascalities of Jim Fisk, Jay Gould, Daniel Drew, and Cornelius Vanderbilt more than a century ago.
- Author(s)John Brooks
- PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Ltd
- Date of Publication11/11/1999
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Series TitleWiley Investment Classics
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJohn Wiley & Sons Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight504 g
- Width143 mm
- Height219 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.88Trending at AU $23.68
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $73.52
- AU $32.89Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $37.66Trending at AU $38.33
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.32
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.67
- AU $20.38Trending at AU $26.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.