All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is the only guide for hiking to the top of Half Dome - the signature landmark of Yosemite National Park, CA. It provides a history of the original Indian inhabitants of the area. The unique geological formations are explained. The focus of the book is to provide information on safe hiking practices to complete this extremely strenuous hike of 16-miles round trip that is climaxed by a harrowing 400 foot vertical ascent to the top of the 8,842 foot high granite molith with the aid of a pair or steel cable banisters set at 45 degrees incline. Included is an extensive trail description with photos and narration of 16 points of interest. The author has completed this hike over 30 times and is a recognized expert source of information about the hike. This is t a topographic map intensive guide; rather it tells historical vignettes to interpret the hike so readers identify with events of the mid 1800's. He relates the story of the interaction of the Miwok and Mo Paiute Indians with the hordes of white invaders during California's Gold Rush. The reader is aware of how Yosemite developed after the white man's discovery. The explanation of how odd geologic formations arose from ancient magma flows provides the reader with an understanding of what happened to the missing part of Half Dome. The full day hike up to the top of Half Dome is one of the most popular in the country. It is t easy. The book prepares the reader for the adventure with an extensive discussion of the equipment required, the training needed and a detailed walk through of the entire trail. Photographs and descriptions of salient features take the apprehension out of doing the hike. Sections with descriptions of 16-Points of Interest -- waterfalls, historical areas, flora and fauna, drinking water sources and the actual cables provide readers with the real deal information to safely prepare for and complete this bucket list Adventure. Readers are given specific information on the gear needed. This includes a boots/foot care, use of hiking poles and a summary of water filter usage clothing selection and food suggestions.
- Author BiographyRick Deutsch has lived the Carpe Diem lifestyle, enjoying adventure travel worldwide. He's hiked in many rewarding places including the Galapagos, Machu Picchu, the Great Wall of China, Mt. Fuji and the Pyramids. Some of Rick's other personal bests include summiting California's Mount Whitney, hiking Mount Shasta, rafting through the Grand Canyon, bicycling the 500-mile Iowa cross-state bike tour, mountain biking in Utah, dog sledding in Alaska, and over 250 scuba dives in such exotic locales as the Caribbean, Papua New Guinea, Palau and Truk Lagoon. His proudest achievement is his 30 hikes up to the top Half Dome, the granite monolith symbol of Yosemite National Park. He's written the best selling book, 1st edition of One Best Hike: Yosemite's Half Dome. Rick gives motivational speeches and lectures on hiking at museums, libraries, colleges, outfitters, cruise ships and to civic groups.
- Author(s)Rick Deutsch
- PublisherWilderness Press
- Date of Publication19/04/2012
- SubjectTravel & Holiday Guides: General
- Series TitleOne Best Hike
- Place of PublicationBerkeley
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWilderness Press
- Content NoteB&W photos throughout, Maps, Charts, Tables
- Weight242 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.40
- AU $65.90Trending at AU $72.27
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.21
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $104.10
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.47
- AU $57.95Trending at AU $58.98
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $113.28
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.