Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $33.15Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $30.21Trending at AU $34.60
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.01
- AU $21.13Trending at AU $25.58
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $23.42
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
About this product
- DescriptionThe claim has repeatedly been made, and has often been contested, that a single transcendent being is present or active in all of the world's major religions. In this view, names such as God, Allah, nirvana, Vishnu, and Brahman all refer to the same transcendent reality. Absent from the debate and here provided is a serious study of such claims in the light of the most pertinent philosophical literature, namely that concerning questions of identity and individuation. Of necessity, the terms that the claims employ are very general and abstract: the world's religions, it is said, all refer to the same thing, being, or reality. Although analogy, rightly understood, can back the transcendent extension of descriptive expressions such as wise, good, and powerful, it cant do likewise for expressions such as one, same, and many. So pluralists' identity claims appear empty. Hallett scrutinizes the soundness of this critique, its broad implications, and the possibility of replacing empty identity claims with suitable parables or comparisons.
- Author BiographyGarth Hallett, SJ, is formerly the Dean of the College of Philosophy and Letters at Saint Louis University, USA. He has written fifteen books, including Identity and Mystery in Themes of Christian Faith (Ashgate, 2005), Priorities and Christian Ethics (CUP, 2008) and Linguistic Philosophy: The Central Story (SUNY, 2008).
- Author(s)Garth L. Hallett
- PublisherContinuum Publishing Corporation
- Date of Publication23/12/2010
- SubjectReligion: Comparative, General & Reference
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintContinuum Publishing Corporation
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight393 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.