All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.93
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.27
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.59
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.47
- AU $46.37Trending at AU $48.34
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.40
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.45
About this product
- DescriptionOriginally published in hardback in 1994 ONE HUNDRED SAINTS is still the only version of Butler's long-revered LIVES OF THE SAINTS that presents saints in all their splendour - in both word and image. The selection reflects contemporary interest and patronage. All the apostles are featured as are the Church Fathers. Also included are saints whose lives and works provide fascinating glimpses into ther holy lives and the traditions and beliefs that have grown because of them. We see Bernini's sculptural representations of Teresa of Avila in ecstasy; Debastian's martyrdom as pictured by Titian; and El Greco's penetrating rendering of St. Martin and the Beggar.
- Author BiographyAlban Butler's Lives of the Fathers, Martyrs and Other Principal Saints was published between 1756 and 1759. Since then the multi-volume work has undergone numerous revisions and updatings. Since this British cleric was somewhat reticent about promulgating many of the legends and stories commonly attributed to saints today, we have drawn on a more colorful, 20th-century revision for One Hundred Saints.
- Author(s)Christopher Buckley
- PublisherLittle, Brown & Company
- Date of Publication03/04/2003
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBulfinch Press,U.S.
- Out-of-print date24/12/2015
- Content Notecol. Illustrations, col. ports.
- Weight1338 g
- Width216 mm
- Height280 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.