All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.28
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $48.86
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.21
- AU $25.01Trending at AU $27.39
About this product
- DescriptionIt is well kwn that British and American English differ substantially in their pronunciation and vocabulary - but differences in their grammar have largely been underestimated. This volume focuses on British-American differences in the structure of words and sentences and supports them with computer-aided studies of large text collections. Present-day as well as earlier forms of the two varieties are included in the analyses. This makes it the first book-length treatment of British and American English grammar in contrast, with topics ranging from compound verbs to word order differences and tag questions. The authors explore some of the better-kwn contrasts, as well as a great variety of invative themes that have so far received little or consideration. Bringing together the work of a team of leading scholars in the field, this book will be of interest to those working within the fields of English historical linguistics, language variation and change, and dialectology.
- Author BiographyGunter Rohdenburg is Professor Emeritus of English Linguistics in the Department of English and American Studies at the University of Paderborn. Julia Schluter is Assistant Professor in English Linguistics and Language History at the University of Bamberg.
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication22/01/2009
- Series TitleStudies in English Language
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note122 tables
- Weight900 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Edited byGunter Rohdenburg,Julia Schluter
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.