All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $103.88Trending at AU $107.66
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.45
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.63
- AU $98.80Trending at AU $107.74
- AU $49.79Trending at AU $51.97
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $104.72
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $88.64
About this product
- Description'Little by little, an egg will come to walk upon its own leg'. Ethiopian-Israelis fondly quote this bit of Amharic folk wisdom, reflecting upon the slow, difficult history that fulfilled their destiny far from their Horn of Africa birthplace. But today, unlike these 'authentic Jews,' the Feres Mura, Ethiopian Jews whose families converted to Christianity during the nineteenth century and then reasserted their Jewish identity in the latter part of the twentieth century, still await acceptance by Israel. Since the 1980s, they have sought homecoming through the state's right of return law. Instead of a welcoming embrace, Israel's government and society regard them with reticence and suspicion. One People, One Blood expertly documents this tenuous relationship and the challenges facing the Feres Mura. Distilling more than ten years of ethgraphic research, Don Seeman depicts the rich culture of the group, as well as their social and cultural vulnerability, and addresses the problems that arise when a political entity empowers itself to decide whose identity is legitimate or t.
- Author BiographyDON SEEMAN is an associate professor in the department of religion and the Tam Institute for Jewish Studies at Emory University.
- Author(s)Don Seeman
- PublisherRutgers University Press
- Date of Publication15/08/2009
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Series TitleJewish Cultures of the World
- Place of PublicationNew Brunswick, NJ
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRutgers University Press
- Content Note9 illustrations
- Weight594 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Series Edited byMatti Bunzl,Jeffrey Shandler
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.