All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.76Trending at AU $7.42
- AU $27.81Trending at AU $30.93
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $26.96
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $32.03
- AU $71.17Trending at AU $80.38
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $15.78
- AU $25.16Trending at AU $27.13
About this product
- DescriptionLittle by little, an egg will come to walk upon its own leg. Ethiopian-Israelis fondly quote this bit of Amharic folk wisdom, reflecting upon the slow, difficult history that allowed them to fulfill their destiny far from the Horn of Africa where they were born.But today, along with those Ethiopians who have been recognized as Jews by the State of Israel, many who are called Feres Mura, the descendants of Ethiopian Jews whose families converted to Christianity but have w reasserted their Jewish identity, still await full acceptance in Israel. Since the 1990s, they have sought homecoming through Israel's Law of Return, but have been met with reticence and suspicion on a variety of fronts. One People, One Blood expertly documents this tenuous relationship and the challenges facing the Feres Mura.Distilling more than ten years of ethgraphic research, Don Seeman depicts the rich culture of the group, as well as their social and cultural vulnerability, and addresses the problems that arise when immigration officials, religious leaders, or academic scholars try to determine the legitimacy of Jewish identity or Jewish religious experience.
- Author BiographyDON SEEMAN is an associate professor in the department of religion and the Tam Institute for Jewish Studies at Emory University.
- Author(s)Don Seeman
- PublisherRutgers University Press
- Date of Publication15/07/2010
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Series TitleJewish Cultures of the World
- Place of PublicationNew Brunswick, NJ
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRutgers University Press
- Content Noteill
- Weight431 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.