All listings for this product
About this product
- Description<b>The power of positive thinking.</b> It is an idea deeply rooted in American culture, from Oprah to <i>The Secret</i> to the mass-media ministries of Joel Osteen and T.D. Jakes. Yet one has examined how this one simple idea--to think positively--has morphed from metaphysics into mass belief. In <i>One Simple Idea</i>, Mitch Horowitz tracks the history of the positive-thinking movement from its pioneers to its most dramatic personalities, including Dale Carnegie and Norman Vincent Peale. Positive thinking has been the root of studies on the placebo effect, the 12-step approach to overcoming addition, and the mind-body connection in treating illness. And it is central to the American idea of success, as seen in political messages like Ronald Reagan's Nothing is impossible or President Obama's Yes, we can and slogans such as the U.S. Army's Be all you can be and Nike's Just do it. This paperback edition includes new exercises and methods, which readers can use to test the validity of positive-mind mechanics in their daily lives. <i>One Simple Idea</i> answers the age-old question--<i>Does it work?</i>--and shows that, yes, positive thinking can change the world.
- Author BiographyMitch Horowitz is the author of Occult America, which received the 2010 PEN Oakland/ Josephine Miles Award for literary excellence. He is vice-president and editor-in-chief at Tarcher/Penguin, the division of Penguin books dedicated to metaphysical literature. He frequently writes about and discusses alternative spirituality in the national media, including CBS Sunday Morning, Dateline NBC, All Things Considered, The Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post, BoingBoing, Time.com, and CNN.com.
- Author(s)Mitch Horowitz
- PublisherSkyhorse Publishing
- Date of Publication03/05/2016
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectPopular Psychology
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSkyhorse Publishing
- Weight454 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.06
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.22
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.12
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.23
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.93
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $95.49
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $23.36
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.