All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.85
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionDr. Reznicek is a clinical psychiatrist who offers radical advice for parents who want to keep their teens away from drugs: take complete control of your child's life. He says parents have all the tools they need to keep kids drug-free: clear expectations, close supervision, home drug-testing and swift consequences for drug use. He is a harsh critic of the disease model of substance abuse and drug rehab, which he says enables drug use. Rehab teaches teens that drug abuse is a brain disease and that quitting is so complicated it requires trained experts. Neither is true. The disease model also makes parents think they are inadequate for the job. This is an icoclastic, thought-provoking 9600-word essay that will unsettle anyone who thinks the medical profession holds the keys to solving the drug problem. It is full of common sense and hope-it shows that real help for teens is much closer to home, and much less complicated than many think.
- Author BiographyDr. Michael J. Reznicek is a board-certified psychiatrist with over 20 years of experience. He has practiced in the military, in hospital-based community settings, in prisons, and in state hospitals. He owns Psychiatric Consulting Services, PLLC, (www.psychconsulting.org) Dr. Reznicek has extensive experience in the field of substance abuse. He has written for The Weekly Standard, the Omaha World Herald and has had letters in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and other publications. He has been a guest on numerous talk-radio shows at the local, national and international levels where he has discussed drug abuse. He is an outspoken critic of the way psychiatry over-medicalizes human behavior.
- Author(s)Dr Michael J Reznicek
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication16/02/2011
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectCoping with Problems & Illness
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight59 g
- Width133 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine3 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.