All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.86
- AU $69.30Trending at AU $126.46
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $10.41
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.55
About this product
- DescriptionThe final quality of a food product is impacted heavily by preservation techlogies, such as chilling, freezing, and freeze-drying, as well as the numerous pretreatments that are routinely applied to foods. Adequate design and implementation of each of these treatments are critical to ensuring the integrity of the final food product, the productivity of the equipment, and reduced operation costs. Operations in Food Refrigeration explores the fundamental issues involved in heat and mass transfer in food refrigeration and examines aspects of other operations applied to chilled or frozen foods. Following an overview of basic concepts and general calculation procedures involved in cooling, freezing, thawing, and freeze-drying, the book discusses: * Sizing, peeling, cutting, sorting, and blanching fruits and vegetables * Pretreatments for meats, including tenderization, electrical stimulation, portioning, curing, and smoking * Pretreatments for fish and other seafood * Processing of poultry * Air and osmotic partial dehydration, infusion of special nutrients, and the concentration of juices * Traditional chilling and freezing methods * Special precooling and freezing techniques * The effects of thawing on food, factors that influence the choice and design of thawing processes, and various thawing methods * Freeze-drying equipment Each chapter is written by a recognized specialist and can serve as a stand-alone resource for the particular topic. Several chapters present case studies that can be used for developing processes or in teaching applications. Processors, researchers, and educators in the food industry will find this volume to be an invaluable reference for a host of food operations.
- Author BiographyRodolfo H. Mascheroni has a Ph.D. in Chemistry from La Plata National University in Argentina, where he is currently a full professor in the Faculty of Engineering. He is the main researcher for the National Research Council (CONICET), Argentina, Vice-Director of the Center for Research and Development on Food Cryotechnology of Argentina, a member of ASHRAE and ASABE, and an associate Member of IIR. His main research interests include heat and mass transfer and quality issues in food refrigeration, freezing, storage, transport, thawing, dehydration, and heat treatment; heat and mass transfer coefficients in food refrigeration; thermophysical properties of foods at low temperatures; freezing and storage conditions and frozen product development; thawing and heating of frozen raw materials and prepared foods; and food dehydration processes.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Inc
- Date of Publication15/01/2010
- SubjectIndustrial Chemistry & Manufacturing
- Series TitleContemporary Food Engineering
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 26
- Place of PublicationBosa Roca
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCRC Press Inc
- Content Note119 black & white illustrations, 19 black & white tables
- Weight725 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byRodolfo H. Mascheroni
- Series Edited byDa-Wen Sun
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.