Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.06
- AU $20.15Trending at AU $23.77
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.22
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.12
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.23
- AU $30.78Trending at AU $34.76
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.93
About this product
- DescriptionConstructed opposition has proved as viable an area of research as traditional antonymy, and a useful tool in looking at ideologically orientated texts. This book investigates how binary oppositions are constructed discursively and the potential ideological repercussions of their usage in news reports in the British press. The focus is particularly on the positive presentation of groups and individuals subsumed under the first person plural prouns 'us' and 'we', and the simultaneous marginalization of groups designated as 'they' or 'them'. Exploring the dynamic relations between the linguistic system and language in context this is a key publication for those involved in discourse analysis and stylistics.
- Author BiographyMatt Davies is a Senior Lecturer at the University of Chester, UK.
- Author(s)Matt Davies
- PublisherContinuum Publishing Corporation
- Date of Publication08/11/2012
- Series TitleAdvances in Stylistics
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintContinuum Publishing Corporation
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight521 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsHardback (stationery)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.