Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.09
- AU $46.37Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
About this product
- DescriptionSimeon Chavel identifies a distinct story-type in the Torah, the oracular vella, its contours and poetics, historical background, and use. A very short story of human quandary resolved by divine law, the oracular vella depicts an incident or set of circumstances in Israel, oracular inquiry by Moses, and instruction by Yahweh. The Torah has four such stories, all in the Priestly source, about cursing Yahweh (Lev 24:10-23), Pesa? deferral (Num 9:1-14), woodgathering on the Sabbath (Num 15:32-36), and inheritance by daughters (Num 27:1-11). All four dramatize themes in the divine speeches and divinely directed activities preceding them. But each utilizes the legal climax distinctly, has a separate compositional history, and affected other biblical texts differently. Ancient sources show the oracular vellas to adapt a form of priestly activity for historiography. Together they illuminate the Priestly History deeply troping divine will as law, and highlight Judean priests cherishing oracular inquiry as the nexus of divine and human society.
- Author(s)Simeon Chavel
- PublisherMohr Siebeck
- Date of Publication01/11/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectChristianity: General
- Series TitleForschungen Zum Alten Testament 2.Reihe
- Series Part/Volume Number71
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintMohr Siebeck
- Weight553 g
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.