All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSince its inception, the research university has been the central institution of kwledge in the West. Today its intellectual authority is being challenged on many fronts, above all by radical techlogical change. Organizing Enlightenment tells the story of how the university emerged in the early nineteenth century at a similarly fraught moment of cultural anxiety about revolutionary techlogies and their disruptive effects on established institutions of kwledge. Drawing on the histories of science, the university, and print, as well as media theory and philosophy, Chad Wellmon explains how the research university and the ethic of disciplinarity it created emerged as the final and most lasting techlogy of the Enlightenment. Organizing Enlightenment reveals higher education's story as one t only of the production of kwledge but also of the formation of a particular type of person: the disciplinary self. In order to survive, the university would have to institutionalize a new order of kwledge, one that was self-organizing, internally coherent, and embodied in the very character of the modern, critical scholar.
- Author BiographyChad Wellmon is an associate professor of German studies at the University of Virginia and a faculty fellow at the Institute for Advanced Studies in Culture. He is the author of Becoming Human: Romantic Anthropology and the Embodiment of Freedom.
- Author(s)Chad Wellmon
- PublisherJohns Hopkins University Press
- Date of Publication28/04/2015
- SubjectAdult & Further Education
- Place of PublicationBaltimore, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJohns Hopkins University Press
- Weight658 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Interest AgeFrom 17
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.20
- AU $65.90Trending at AU $72.08
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.02
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.83
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.26
- AU $57.95Trending at AU $58.87
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.98
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.