All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book studies a best-practices example of what is kwn as the organizing local approach to union renewal. Several unions in the US, the UK, and other countries have embraced this model of unionism as a formula for labor revitalization. Organizing locals aim to strengthen unions by redeploying resources and mobilizing workers around the goal of member recruitment. The union local under study stands out as an exceptional case within the US context. Against the backdrop of a languishing labor movement, this local has succeeded at recruiting workers and keeping its members engaged. The book seeks to unpack this success and examine closely what works, what does t, and how things work. The research design relies on participant observation and in-depth interviews to examine how formal systems of representation and macro-organizing strategies and platforms get translated into micro-level processes, experiences, and relationships. By adopting a micro-social approach, the author reveals what drives union activism in an organizing local, beyond the rhetoric of union officials. Further, the findings identify the conditions for successful union reform, and show formal and informal mechanisms for accommodating opposite orientations in union work, attending to members' expectations of union help, and changing the status quo through organizing.
- Author BiographyLaura Ariovich was born in Buenos Aires, Argentina, and traveled to the United States with a Fulbright Foreign Fellowship to conduct her doctoral studies. She received her PhD in sociology from Northwestern University in June 2007. After her graduation, she returned to Argentina and joined a research project at the Instituto de Investigaciones Gino Germani, University of Buenos Aires, as a postdoctoral fellow funded by the Agencia Nacional de Promocion Cientifica y Tecnologica. She is currently working in applied research in the Washington, DC metro area.
- Author(s)Laura Ariovich
- PublisherPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Date of Publication10/11/2010
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleTrade Unions Past, Present and Future
- Series Part/Volume Number10
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- First Published2010
- ImprintPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Content Notetables and graphs
- Weight450 g
- Width145 mm
- Height222 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.40
- AU $166.95Trending at AU $170.82
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $118.00
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $109.01
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $107.40
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.95
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.