All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $73.29
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.81
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $70.75
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.44
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.95
- AU $53.09Trending at AU $58.60
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.55
About this product
- DescriptionOriental Lawrence: The Quest for the Secrets of Sex explores D.H. Lawrence's engagement with Eastern systems of thought, especially Buddhism and Yoga, which were his main sources of interest. It tracks their impact on his thinking and their influence on his fiction. Lawrence looked to the East less for social, political, or cultural resolutions to the chronic problems that beset the West, but to engage with limit-situations - moments of radical transformation when the self sheds its social accoutrements and discovers dynamic new ways of being-in-the-world. He sought those new levels of awareness, new modes of desire, new ways of transmuting the self, and new soteriological goals that the West seemed unable to offer.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Gerald Doherty was Professor of Literary Theory at the University of Turku in Finland until his retirement in 1995. He received his Ph.D. in 1972 from University College, London, where he lectured on Renaissance literature. Author of Theorizing Lawrence (Peter Lang 1999), over the past twenty years he has published widely on Modernist writers in American literary journals. He received a knighthood from the president of Finland (1990).
- Author(s)Gerald Doherty
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/10/2001
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleStudies in Twentieth-Century British Literature
- Series Part/Volume Number4
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight390 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.