Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
About this product
- DescriptionThis is the first book on constructive methods for, and applications of orthogonal polymials, and the first available collection of relevant Matlab codes. The book begins with a concise introduction to the theory of polymials orthogonal on the real line (or a portion thereof), relative to a positive measure of integration. Topics which are particularly relevant to computation are emphasized. The second chapter develops computational methods for generating the coefficients in the basic three-term recurrence relation. The methods are of two kinds: moment-based methods and discretization methods. The former are provided with a detailed sensitivity analysis. Other topics addressed concern Cauchy integrals of orthogonal polymials and their computation, a new discussion of modification algorithms, and the generation of Sobolev orthogonal polymials. The final chapter deals with selected applications: the numerical evaluation of integrals, especially by Gauss-type quadrature methods, polymial least squares approximation, moment-preserving spline approximation, and the summation of slowly convergent series. Detailed historic and bibliographic tes are appended to each chapter. The book will be of interest t only to mathematicians and numerical analysts, but also to a wide clientele of scientists and engineers who perceive a need for applying orthogonal polymials.
- Author BiographyWalter Gautshi is Professor Emeritus at Purdue University, USA.
- Author(s)Walter Gautschi
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication29/04/2004
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleNumerical Mathematics & Scientific Computation
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Content Note9 b/w line drawings
- Weight678 g
- Width162 mm
- Height242 mm
- Spine21 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.