All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $7.99Trending at AU $8.23
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.78
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.22
- AU $66.30Trending at AU $74.69
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $36.87
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.23
About this product
- DescriptionMost of us spend at least two-thirds of our lives either sitting or standing. It is somewhat surprising, therefore, to find t a single book devoted to disorders caused by derangements of the rmal physiological adjustments to changes in posture. In fact, until very recently, medical students have t even been advised to measure the blood pressure and heart rate in the upright posture as part of the routine physical examination. Although Bradbury and Eggleston first described orthostatic hypotension as a consequence of automic insufficiency in 1925, interest in orthostatic disorders has been slow to develop in the subsequent years. It is well kwn that the change from recumbency to the standing posture stimulates neurological, endocrine, and cardiovascular adjustments that ensure maintenance of a rmal circulation despite the effects of gravitational forces. The mechanisms of these physiological responses to orthostasis have been stud- ied by many investigators. Some of the defects to which antigravitational com- pensatory mechanisms are subject, such as postural hypotension resulting from automic failure, have been studied intensively and have become part of the general kwledge of most medical practitioners. Other orthostatic disorders- such as various other postural abrmalities of blood pressure control, and orthostatic edema-have received far less attention and have been unable to compete with the more dramatic and life-threatening ailments of humankind for a place in our standard medical texts. These disorders often give rise to distressing symptoms and may lead to severe impairment of health.
- Author(s)David H. P. Streeten
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication30/04/2012
- SubjectClinical Medicine: Professional
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Note115 black & white illustrations, biography
- Weight425 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1987
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.