CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.34Trending at AU $49.62
- AU $77.99Trending at AU $116.74
- AU $28.60Trending at AU $31.14
- AU $70.35Trending at AU $77.45
- AU $74.11Trending at AU $76.83
- AU $35.47Trending at AU $39.18
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.70
About this product
- DescriptionText in English & German. The other Italy , that is the rural Italy, far from the bustle of the cities. It is the Italy of the Apennines, its natural scenery, its remote villages, churches and religious communities, its farmers, charcoal burners, shepherds and fishermen -- even if these old professions are w dwindling away. The author has travelled hundreds of kilometres through this rural Italy on foot, and travelled thousands of kilometres through it by car. Although he was acting in a professional capacity as a geologist, his interests went beyond this wonderful countrys geology to embrace everything it had to offer. In the year 1959, he embarked on ten years working in Liguria (rth of Gea) and twenty years in Calabria, on the toe of the Italian boot , on the flank of the Aspromonte facing the Ionic Sea. Further visits to both areas up to the present day have contributed to his fifty-year relationship with Italy, and a body of Italian experiences which was simply begging to be set down with accompanying pictures. Eight stories tell of the land and the people, of the wild landscape of Calabria and its Mafia, of rural festivals, Christmas customs, Italian food, abandoned farms -- and of Non , a grand-father. A wealth of photographs, mainly in colour, join with the stories in encouraging the reader to forsake bathing holidays and art tourism and take a trip to a near and yet distant land.
- Author BiographyUntil his retirement Hillert Ibbeken was a professor of geology at the Freie Universitat Berlin, but his lifelong occupation has been architectural photography.
- Author(s)Hillert Ibbeken
- PublisherEdition Axel Menges
- Date of Publication13/07/2011
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Place of PublicationFellbach
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintEdition Axel Menges
- Content Note130 photos
- Weight1014 g
- Width300 mm
- Height280 mm
- Spine18 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.