All listings for this product
About this product
- Description...brings new insights into the colonial relationship while challenging the unspoken temptation that this was a distinctly European period. -Simon Gikandi Other Routes collects important primary work by travel writers from Asia and Africa in English translation. An introduction by Tabish Khair discusses travel literature as a genre, the perception of travel and writing about travel as a European privilege, and the emergence of new writings that show that travel has been a human occupation that crosses time and culture. This original and significant book will interest armchair travelers and others in views of people and places away from the European traveler's gaze. Selections include The Travels of a Japanese Monk (c. 838), Al-Abdari, the Disgruntled Traveller (c. 1290), A Korean Official's Account of China (1488), The Poetry of Basho's Road (1689), Malabari: A Love-Hate Affair with the British (1890).
- Author BiographyTabish Khair teaches at the University of Aarhus, Denmark. Justin D. Edwards is an associate professor at Copenhagen University, Denmark. Martin Leer is an associate professor at Copenhagen University, Denmark. Hanna Ziadeh is a Lebanese writer and translator who lives in Denmark.
- PublisherIndiana University Press
- Date of Publication01/09/2005
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Place of PublicationIndiana
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIndiana University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight476 g
- Width133 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byHanna Ziadeh,Justin D. Edwards,Martin Leer,Tabish Khair
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.90Trending at AU $23.01
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $75.38
- AU $32.85Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
- AU $17.43Trending at AU $19.79
- AU $44.07Trending at AU $51.53
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.