All listings for this product
About this product
- Description'Our encounters with Madness' is a collection of user, carer and survivor narratives. These are grouped under five themes: On Diagsis, Stories of Experience, Experiencing the System, On Being a Carer, and Abuse and Survival. The book will be of great benefit to students of mental health, professionals, service users and carers, and to those interested in narrative enquiry and the pedagogy of suffering. Unlike most other books in this genre, the narratives are unmediated. Written by 'experts by experience', there are professional biomedical of psychotherapeutic commentaries, which often serve to capture and tame, or sanitise, such stories of direct experience.
- Author BiographyDr Alec Grant is Reader in Narrative Mental Health in the School of Health Sciences at the University of Brighton. He is widely published in the fields of ethnography, autoethnography, clinical supervision, cognitive behavioural psychotherapy, and communication and interpersonal skills. His current and developing research and scholarly interests coalesce in the area of narrative inquiry and demedicalizing mental health. Francis Biley is Associate Professor at the University of Bournemouth. He has particular methodological interests in historiography, autoethnography, unitary appreciative inquiry and using the arts and humanities in health care. Clinically, he has interests in the built care environment, and in the service user movement in mental health and adult care. Hannah Walker is the Chairperson of the Dorset Mental Health Forum which, amongst other things, offers advocacy services and promotes recovery and wellbeing.
- PublisherPCCS Books
- Date of Publication29/04/2011
- SubjectPsychiatry & Clinical Psychology: Professional
- Series TitleOur Encounters with
- Series Part/Volume Number1
- Place of PublicationManchester
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPCCS Books
- Weight411 g
- Width155 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byDr. Alec Grant,Francis Biley,Hannah Walker
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $74.54Trending at AU $75.65
- AU $35.53Trending at AU $38.58
- AU $31.33Trending at AU $37.07
- AU $17.66Trending at AU $22.78
- AU $13.07Trending at AU $16.63
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.34
- AU $26.33Trending at AU $50.97
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.