All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn this book gays and lesbians from the Deep South to East Texas and Appalachia speak from vivid personal experience and turn an analytical eye on the South and its culture. Some contributors examine the power of traditional Southern attitudes toward race and religion, and consider the don't ask, don't tell attitude about homosexuality in some communities (the public secret ). Other contributors show how gay culture is thriving in the form of women's festivals, gay bars, and unusual networks like that of Asian and Pacific Islanders in Atlanta. Out in the South is organized into sections that focus on a central metaphor of space and location. This grounds the book in the sense of the South as a special region and in the inside/outside dilemma faced by many gay and lesbian Southerners as they negotiate their place in an often-inhospitable homeland. Author te: Carlos L. Dews is Associate Professor of English at the University of West Florida. He is the editor of Carson McCullers' unfinished autobiography, Illumination and Night Glare. Carolyn Leste Law is Dissertation Advisor in the Graduate School at Northern Illiis University and an independent scholar interested in social justice. Together, they edited This Fine Place So Far from Home: Voices of Academics from the Working Class (Temple).
- PublisherTemple University Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication12/01/2001
- SubjectGender Studies / Gay & Lesbian Studies
- Place of PublicationPhiladelphia PA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTemple University Press,U.S.
- Weight531 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Edited byC.L. Dews,Carolyn Leste Law
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.61Trending at AU $33.16
- AU $17.87Trending at AU $22.31
- AU $43.47Trending at AU $44.49
- AU $34.88Trending at AU $37.13
- AU $25.92Trending at AU $34.15
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.39
- AU $36.24Trending at AU $40.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.