All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOur spirituality needs revival, but the disciplines of the Spirit often go covered with dust, lying unused by Christians because they feel too much like rules. But what if they weren't rules? What if they were conversation starters? Invitations to discover God right w, today? In Out of the House of Bread author Preston Yancey leads us in a new but old direction of spirituality engaging the symbolism and experience of spiritual disciplines made plain and accessible by the baking of bread. The benefits of this book of devotion include: finding a nearness to the holiness of Go and feeling and experiencing the forgiveness of God. You'll learn again the disciplines of celebration, confession, and conversion, encountering new avenues of prayer along the way. Each chapter pairs a spiritual discipline or practice with insight to the baking of an extraordinary loaf of bread. Readers encounter ancient practices such as the prayer of examen, lectio divina, intercessory prayer, icons, and wonder. Yancey shows how, like in Brother Lawrence's kitchen in The Practice of the Presence of God, that when you lift up your hands to God and pray, God will show up right there in the midst of your work and livelihood while you bake. Out of the House of Bread is a glorious celebration of the sacraments and the seasons of God, meant as reminders and forms of prayer to take readers closer to God in worship. An appendix about gluten-free and vegan bread and suggested reading and artwork for contemplation complete the book.
- Author BiographyPreston Yancey is a lifelong Texan raised Southern Baptist who fell in love with reading saints, crossing himself, and high church spirituality. He now makes his home within the Anglican tradition. He is a writer, painter, baker, and speaker. An alumnus of Baylor University, Preston completed a masters in theology from St. Andrews University in Scotland before returning to the States. He currently lives in Waco, Texas.
- Author(s)Preston Yancey
- Date of Publication26/01/2016
- SubjectChristianity: General
- Place of PublicationGrand Rapids
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2016
- Weight276 g
- Width145 mm
- Height221 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Foreword byShauna Niequist
- Format DetailsWith dust jacket
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.86
- AU $69.30Trending at AU $126.46
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $10.41
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.55
- AU $36.22Trending at AU $37.61
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.