All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.48
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.31
- AU $36.78Trending at AU $38.13
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.65
- AU $33.33Trending at AU $36.24
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.49
- AU $23.12Trending at AU $33.89
About this product
- DescriptionThis book presents a new reading of film ir through psychoanalytic theory. In a field w dominated by Deleuzian and phemelogical approaches to film-philosophy, this book argues that, far from having passed, the time for Lacan in Film Studies is only just beginning. The chapters engage with Lacanian psychoanalysis to perform a meta-critical analysis of the writing on ir in the last seven decades and to present an original theory of criticism and historiography for the cinema. The book is also an act of mourning; for a lost past of the cinema, for a longstanding critical tradition and for film ir. It asks how we can talk about film ir when, in fact, film ir doesn't exist. The answer starts with Lacan and a refusal to relinquish psychoanalysis. Lacanian theories of retroactivity and ontology can be read together with film history, genre and narrative to show the ways in which theory and history, past and present, cinema and psychoanalysis are fundamentally ktted together. Tyrer also explores Lacan through particular ir films, such as Double Indemnity andThe Maltese Falcon - and demonstrates the possibilities for a Lacanian Film Studies (as one that engages fully with Lacan's entire body of work) that has hitherto t been realised.
- Author BiographyBen Tyrer teaches Film Studies at King's College London, UK. His research interests include film theory, film-philosophy and Lacanian psychoanalysis. He is co-editor of the collection, Psychoanalysis and the Unrepresentable: from Culture to the Clinic (Routledge, 2016), and has published work in Studies in French Cinema and Film-Philosophy, as well as several edited collections on psychoanalysis, culture and society. He is also co-coordinator of the Psychoanalysis in Our Time research network, supported by the Nordic Summer University.
- Author(s)Ben Tyrer
- PublisherSpringer International Publishing AG
- Date of Publication31/07/2016
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Series TitleThe Palgrave Lacan Series
- Place of PublicationCham
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintSpringer International Publishing AG
- Content Notebiography
- Weight504 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine22 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.