Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.38Trending at AU $49.05
- AU $74.33Trending at AU $75.94
- AU $22.12Trending at AU $22.83
- AU $35.50Trending at AU $38.73
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.24
- AU $17.59Trending at AU $22.87
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.49
About this product
- DescriptionThis concise book seeks to make available to the public what may be called the other side of Islam - t the violent aspect appearing in the nightly news headlines which focus on radical terrorists, but the long and rich tradition at the heart of Islamic spirituality kwn as Sufism. With great lucidity and clarity, Stoddart offers a succinct, yet comprehensive overview of Sufism's fundamental doctrines and spiritual practices, which are followed by many millions of Muslims throughout the world. Kwn for his capacity to give clear explanations of unfamiliar and complex material, Stoddart emphasises the importance of the role of art and beauty, highlights its intricate symbolism and explains the central role of the invocation of the Name of God in Sufi spiritual practice; an appendix includes central Koranic, Prophetic and traditional Sufi sayings. This new edition is based upon an earlier and much shorter book Stoddart wrote 35 years ago, which was highly acclaimed by leading experts in the field of Islamic Studies. Harvard professor Annemarie Schimmel remarked that it was Useful ...adorned with many good illustrations ...(and) contains many important points clearly expressed.
- Author BiographyWilliam Stoddart was born in Carstairs, Scotland and lived most of his life in London. He was a close associate of both Frithjof Schuon and Titus Burckhardt and translated several of their works into English. He was assistant editor of the British journal Studies in Comparative Religion. His works include Outlines of Hinduism and Outlines of Buddhism. He lives in Windsor, Ontario.
- Author(s)William Stoddart
- PublisherWorld Wisdom Books
- Date of Publication15/04/2012
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWorld Wisdom Books
- Content Note8 colour illustrations
- Weight250 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine46 mm
- Foreword byR. W. J. Austin
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.