All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionUrdu is an Indo-Aryan language which has the twentieth largest world population of speakers, with 130 million speaking it as a native language and 270 million in total. It is the national language of Pakistan and is one of the 23 official languages of India. It has official language status in the Indian states of Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Jammu and Kashmir, and Uttar Pradesh, and the national capital, Delhi; where it is spoken, learned, and regarded as a language of prestige. It is used in education, literature, office and court business, media, and in religious institutions. Urdu draws much vocabulary from Persian and Arabic. This dictionary provides exhaustive coverage of Urdu words, phrases, idioms including scientific and technical terms. Also included are words that have been part of the vocabulary used by poets, literati, and the common man over the last two hundred years. It is a comprehensive all-inclusive dictionary covering the classic and modern language originating from all citadels like Delhi, Luckw, and Lahore. It has about 85,000 entries with their meanings, definitions, explanations, part of speech, etymology, sub-entries (words, inflexions, phrase, proverbs, and compounds) in a very user-friendly manner. One of the key features of the dictionary is its pronunciation. This dictionary is introducing/presenting pronunciation of Urdu words in IPA (International Phonetics Alphabet) for the very first time in the history of Urdu lexicography. IPA is internationally recognized and approved system of phonetic tation. It was devised by the International Phonetic Association as a standardized representation of almost all the sounds and letters of spoken languages of the world. It gives more clear and exact pronunciation then conventional system of symbols, coding, and Romanization. Also it provides an extra help for foreign language esp. English user such as, students and teachers, linguists, speech pathologists and therapists, singers, actors, lexicographers, and translators. It is the most comprehensive and affordable dictionary as compared to the available range of bilingual Urdu-English dictionaries in the market. For the very first time this dictionary has been arranged from right to left to facilitate readers of Urdu. This volume will definitely fill the long felt need for a reliable, user-friendly, comprehensive Urdu-English dictionary.
- Author BiographyCompilers: Mr S.M. Salimuddin is a retired executive of State Life Insurance Corporation of Pakistan. He enrolled at the Hameedia College, Bhopal (affiliated to Agra University, India) in 1946 and graduated in Arts from the said university in 1951 in Urdu and English Literature. Mr Suhail Anjum has been associated with OUP as a freelancer, editor, and translator on a number of projects. He has also contributed as editor to the Oxford English-Urdu Dictionary compiled by Shanul Haq Haqqee. Chief Editor: Dr Rauf Parekh is a lexicographer and well-known author, compiler, reviewer, and columnist of Pakistan. He has served as Chief Editor of the Urdu Dictionary Board, Federal Ministry of Education. Editor: Mr Tariq Mahmud is an author of more than thirty books including four English-Urdu dictionaries. He has served as Director, Bureau of Composition, Compilation and Translation, University of Karachi and as Registrar, University of Karachi.
- PublisherOUP Pakistan
- Date of Publication12/09/2013
- SubjectBilingual Dictionaries
- Country of PublicationPakistan
- ImprintOUP Pakistan
- Weight1510 g
- Width191 mm
- Height248 mm
- Spine49 mm
- Edited byRauf Parekh,S. M. Salimuddin,Suhail Anjum,Tariq Mahmud
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $70.99
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.73
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.29
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.09
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $36.97
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.76
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $85.59
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.