Oysterponds, located on Long Island at the eastern end of the North Fork, was inhabited by colonists soon after the settlement of the town of Southold in 1640. The people of the area have a proud heritage divided between the land and the sea. During the first quarter of the 19th century, the hamlet divided into two communities: East Marion and Orient. Little has changed since the Civil War, as the two communities are still composed of graceful homes and shady streets. Popular with tourists during the late 19th century, the area continues to draw artists and photographers, as well as sailing enthusiasts and fishermen, with its rural charm and miles of shoreline. Although many of the commercial enterprises that once made up the business area are long gone, the buildings remain, transformed into elegant houses that give hint of their commercial pasts. Vintage photographs from the collection of the Oysterponds Historical Society open a window into the past and allow a brief glimpse into the history of the area.